What is an EKG Tech?
EKG technicians are responsible for administering a variety of vital tests on a patient's pulmonary or cardiovascular system for diagnostic, therapeutic, or research purposes. Some duties include but are not limited to:
- Taking a patient's medical history
- Preparing patients for various cardiovascular tests
- Checking the quality of recorded data
- Reporting findings to the attending physician, who then makes decisions based on the results
- Helping technologists and physicians during procedures
This course advances the student’s knowledge of assisting with diagnostic procedures in various medical specialties. The mechanism of cardiac cycle and conduction pathway introduce the specialized field of electrocardiography. Students will learn the components of an electrocardiograph and be able to perform an electrocardiogram analysis and provide differential diagnosis from the analysis.